EP 58: Treating Your Patients As People – With Peter Yawitz
In this episode of Practice Growth HQ I chat with Peter Yawitz about the importance of communicating effectively with your patients.
Peter Yawitz is the President of Clear Communication and founder, host, author, and advice columnist at Advice from Someone Else’s Dad. He has been a communication coach, consultant, teacher, and facilitator for global companies for over 30 years.
In this episode you’ll learn why it’s important to treat your patients as people if you want to grow your practice, how to communicate more effectively with your patients especially around conversations that involve money, and why an authentic and compassionate approach is best.
If you’re curious about how much of a difference clear communication could make to patient retention you’ll definitely want to listen to this episode!
What you’ll learn:
- (07:02) Peter shares his own health struggles and how they inspired him to dive deeper into communication styles
- (14:04) Fostering the Doctor-Patient Connection: How to communicate with your patients more effectively
- (17:31) The vital role authenticity and compassion play when it comes to patient communication
- (20:49) Why it’s important to consider the physical position of your patient when you want to have important discussions about their treatment
- (22:21) How to make your patients feel more comfortable when having conversations around money
- (24:32) Building stronger relationships with your patients through purposeful small talk
- (27:43) Peter tells us about his book, ‘Flip Flops and Microwaved Fish: Navigating the Dos and Don’ts of Workplace Culture’
- (29:50) Workplace etiquette: How to know what’s appropriate and what’s not appropriate at work
- Plus loads more!
Links and Resources:
Book: Flip Flops and Microwaved Fish: Navigating the Dos and Don’ts of Workplace Culture