In this episode of Practice Growth HQ we’re talking all about service – and who better to ask than Howard Behar, retired President of Starbucks.
Howard has enjoyed a highly successful career as a leader and entrepreneur, and he attributes this success to his unwavering passion in the people who work in his business. In this episode, Howard and Angus discuss Howard’s career trajectory from retail employee to President of Starbucks, how to build a team of people who truly care about the mission of your business, and why service to others should always be your top priority.
If you’re interested in learning more about the premise of ‘Servant Leadership’ and how you can apply it to your healthcare practice, this episode is for you.
If you loved what you heard, please leave us a lovely 5-star review!
What you’ll learn:
- (07:25) Howard’s career trajectory: From humble retail employee to building a 100 million dollar furniture company to president of Starbucks
- (13:53) Bringing the premise of Servant Leadership to Starbucks: Why you’re here to serve your people, not be served by your people
- (17:10) Why it doesn’t matter if you have one business or 50,000 businesses: Success comes down to this one key thing
- (20:55) Discover practical steps to build a team that truly cares about service
- (24:20) Why your clients and employees don’t care how much you know, they want to know how much you care
- (29:14) Starbucks growing pains: How Howard turned things around for the business when it looked like Starbucks was heading south
- (32:36) The biggest mistakes Howard sees business owners make, no matter what industry you’re in
- (34:40) Learn Howard’s tips for recruiting the right people and why human skills are more important than technical skills
- (35:30) The surprising Interview questions Howard asks when hiring
- (40:00) Discover the six P’s of building a successful career and leaving a legacy
- Plus loads more!
Links and Resources:
Howard’s Phone Number: 206-972-7776
Email address: email@example.com