In this episode of Practice Growth HQ I chat with Naomi Arnold about how to have effective conversations with your staff members (no matter how difficult!).
Naomi Arnold is the Founder of The Human Practice. She’s passionate about creating high-purpose, human-centred cultures and understands that clinical excellence is a result of human effort. Naomi believes that each practice has its own strategic objective, but only one way to reach it, through its people.
In this episode Naomi unpacks how to have difficult conversations with your people, what’s at stake if you avoid these conversations, and how to create an open and safe culture in your practice.
If you’ve been avoiding having certain conversations in your workplace, you’ll want to take some notes during this episode!
What you’ll learn:
- (02:05) Naomi shares her entrepreneurial journey and what led her to create The Human Practice
- (05:07) Naomi shares what she would do differently if she were to build a practice from scratch again
- (08:42) Discover why we don’t like having difficult conversations and tend to avoid having them
- (10:17) Find out why an open and safe culture at work creates a solid foundation to have difficult conversations
- (14:32) Naomi unpacks different management styles for different scenarios in a clinical practice
- (18:24) Learn some simple tips to help you feel more prepared to have a difficult conversation
- (24:04) Find out why approaching a difficult conversation as an ‘us’ problem rather than a ‘them’ problem produces better results
- (27:12) Learn what to do when a staff member bring an issue with another staff member to your attention
- (29:33) Discover how to encourage your team to work out issues between themselves
- (33:29) Naomi shares her best advice for those who feel nervous about having difficult conversations
- Plus loads more!
Links and Resources: